- 2 tablespoons walnut pieces
- 2 pounds new potatoes, such as Jersey Royals or Charlotte
- 1 tablespoon tarragon or cider vinegar washed or scrubbed
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon leaves
- 4 tablespoons walnut oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons chopped cornichons or gherkins (optional)
- flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Toast walnuts on a baking sheeting at about 400°F for a few minutes, until beginning to color slightly.
Place vinegar, mustard, oil, honey, and salt and pepper in a screw-top jar or in the bowl of a small hand blender. Shake or blend well until creamy. Add more salt or pepper to taste.
Cook the potatoes in boiling, salted water for about 15-20 minutes until just tender. Drain well. When cool enough to handle, cut into halves or quarters. Place potatoes in a mixing bowl with the tarragon, shallots, cornichons or gherkins, and walnuts and toss with dressing to taste. Serve just warm or refrigerate and return to room temperature before eating.